Labels

6.01.2014

Lips: MAC's Lipstick in "True Love's Kiss" (LE) [Maleficent 2014]




Hello! I actually started another post on Wednesday that should've gone up by now, but I never got to finishing it and then this past Friday happened. I ended up with "True Love's Kiss," the limited edition lipstick from MAC's Maleficent 2014 collection.

When I saw what this collection would consist of - and the fact that its only lipstick, "True Love's Kiss," would be a shade of red - I completely ignored it. It released the first week of May, I think - I can't even remember right now. The point is, it's been out for a while, and you can probably still find it in stores because...well...those that don't have reds don't wear them, and those that do have reds likely have a shade of red close enough to "True Love's Kiss" already.

I own four red lipsticks, two of which are samples and two of which I purchased on my own (both of those are from Revlon - one of which was one of my first reviews here). Then I have the orange-reds, pink-reds, and purple-reds, that are much easier reds to wear because they're mixed with those other colors. But red-red, I have no problem turning away from. That is why I totally ignored this collection all of May.

But this past Friday, my mom and I went to see the new movie, Maleficent, that this collection was inspired by, and the movie was awesome in my opinion. In fact, I would watch it again right now if I could. Then there was the fact that Angelina Jolie's red lipstick was gorgeous in the movie. I thought it would be pretty neat to own a lipstick that not only was in the shade of the movie's main character's lipstick, but was from a collection inspired by the movie as well. So yesterday my mom and I went to a Macy's that still had "True Love's Kiss" in stock and each got our own.

I wanted to get this post up as soon as possible, since we're in June already.




Name: True Love's Kiss
Net Wt.: 0.1 oz./ 3 g.
Price: $17.50*
Finish: Amplified

*This collection features special packaging with a nod to the Maleficent movie. As per usual, each product has a $1.50 packaging fee that is added onto the product's normal price. In this case, the lipstick - which normally costs $16.00 - costs $17.50.

As you can see, the outer box packaging carries the same design as the tube itself, seen below.



I remember thinking how oddly boring and borderline senseless this packaging was when I first saw pictures of it. Now that I've seen the movie, I have a better appreciation for the shadowed wings (clearer in the below picture), as well as the lipstick's name. The lipstick is also housed in a completely black, reflective tube.



Now onto the lipstick itself:



MAC describes "True Love's Kiss" as a "clean, bright red." I really don't know what to make of that, so I can't say whether I agree with it or not. I want to say it is a true red, but I barely wear red so I really don't know what to say. I guess it's basically a deep, rich red.



And it was, by the way, fairly difficult to capture the color in pictures. The bullet almost always looks more orange and lighter than it really is - the above picture included. In any case, the factor that ultimately confirmed whether I would or would not purchase this red lipstick was the finish, which is the amplified finish (hence why it is now mine). Like all the amplified lipsticks I own from MAC, "True Love's Kiss" was extremely creamy and easy to apply, had intense color payoff, and finished with a lovely, full shine.



Swatched on my hand, you can see that "True Love's Kiss" almost appears to be a cherry red on me - a red with the slightest hint of pink. The slightest. The above swatch is a fairly accurate depiction of the color on me. As you can see, there really is no sign of orange anywhere.



Here, the orange tries to creep in but I assure you, it's just my camera freaking out. The color swatched on my hand is the same color I get on my lips. As I mentioned before, the creamy amplified formula makes applying this color very easy. However, as this is a deep, vibrant color (and a red, at that), every little imperfection in terms of my application is obvious. You can't - or at least, I can't - swipe this on blindly and walk out the door. You'll look like a clown. It takes me a couple of minutes, honestly, to get this color on neatly without a lip brush (I do whatever I can to not use a lip brush), and as you can see in the above picture, it still isn't perfect. *It does look fine from a normal viewing distance.*



The full-face pictures above are interesting, mainly because I never wear red lipstick and I never wear yellow clothes, and up there I'm doing both, haha. Clothes aside, I really, really like how this color looks against my NC15-20 skin. It is without a doubt a gorgeous - and long-lasting - shade of red, and I feel quite comfortable wearing it. That being said, I don't suddenly feel like I'm going to look into reds more often now, because I likely won't. The fact remains that they take much more effort to apply when they are opaque, and I just...I just prefer pinks, purples, and oranges over them. Maybe that will change; who knows!

Regardless, my overall opinion on "True Love's Kiss" is what it is: it's a gorgeous shade of red in the excellent, creamy amplified formula that, if you love makeup and enjoyed the Maleficent movie, you may be happy to own. I can't say how it compares to the vast selection of reds already existing on the market, so there is that to keep in mind. If you're curious, you may as well track one down at a store and try it on in person, since it has already been out for a month now. It is limited edition, so checking it out sooner rather than later would be best.

I am mostly happy to own this lipstick because of its excellent performance and its inspiration from the movie. Yup, I enjoyed the movie so much that I wanted to own something that had to do with it. That is about 50% weird. =)

Anyway, thanks for stopping by! 'Til next time! ('<>')>

~nikki

Did you feel compelled to pick up a piece from MAC's Maleficent 2014 collection after seeing the Maleficent movie? What are your thoughts on Disney's recent, more modern approach to its "princess" movie endings? Feel free, of course, to leave any other thoughts on this movie (and collection!) in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment