Labels

9.22.2012

Lips: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in "Certainly Red" [First Impression]



Hello everyone :) I did indeed end up going to Target yesterday though, to my surprise, I was unable to find neither NYC's "Retro Red" nor Wet 'N Wild's "Cherry Frost" lipsticks (as mentioned in my last post here). I ended up scouring through every lipstick display available and was torn between Sonia Kashuk Satin Luxe Lip Color in 93, "Classic Red," and Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in 740, "Certainly Red." Both appeared to be the red I wanted but I ended up picking the latter due to the cheaper price tag (~$6 vs. $10). I was actually considering buying either Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in "Cherry Tart" or "Candy Apple" because I love the lip butter formula, but unfortunately both were sold out :(




I've never tried Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks, and only just tried 740 "Certainly Red" today so this is more of a first impression than a true review. I'll get the basics out of the way first.

Name: Certainly Red (740)
Net Wt.: 0.15 oz/4.2 g
Price: ~$6
Finish: Cream

The packaging is a sleek, round, plastic black tube that, when closed, has a reflective gold stripe across the middle where REVLON is written in black. When opened, the rest of the tube matches the reflective gold stripe. It's your average lipstick packaging.


The top of the packaging has a clear window that lets you get a glimpse of the lipstick itself, since the color tags at the bottom are  not, in my opinion, always a true match. In this case, the bottom sticker/color tag is pretty close in color to the lipstick itself. As always, the lipstick name, number, and line name are available here.


I hate how my camera makes the lipstick appear more pink/coral! To my eye, the color is a pretty true red that almost appears a bit blue based once applied to the lips. The color tag in the above picture is actually closer to the lipstick's color in person for some strange reason. In any case, it's exactly the color I was hoping for.


It almost looks like it has orange in this picture too...-__- Anyway, the formula of this lipstick is not necessarily drying (though I haven't worn it long enough to see how it progresses in the day), but I don't find it too moisturizing either. ***I will mention that my lips were pretty badly chapped today for some strange reason and, because I just wanted to give the color a test run, I did not bother to moisturize them. So, again, this is merely a first impression!***

In terms of sheerness/opacity, "Certainly Red" is extremely opaque! You NEED a mirror to apply this lipstick, and you need to be prepared to fix it up afterwards. You can easily look like a child playing with makeup if you aren't careful applying this. Which is why I'm not putting up the picture I took of it on my lips... ;) I'll try to take another when I update the review, though I'm not sure when that will be because the opacity of this color is quite beyond my comfort zone =P Don't get me wrong, though! I wanted exactly that. ^_^

Lastly, this lipstick contains no scent or taste. 

Overall, I am happy with my red lip purchase. Once I'm comfortable enough with the color and get used to applying it properly, I can see it working beautifully with neutral eyes, which is what I usually play around with since that's the safest look for a beginner in eye cosmetics such as myself. I'll have to update this once I figure out how long it wears, if it does/doesn't stain, and if it dries out the lips.

'Til next time. :D

~nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment