Labels

10.19.2012

The IceBlock [5]: "Nino's Asylum" and California

Hi everyone! I was trying to make a habit out of alternating between reviews and "life" posts, but I wanted to save this session of The IceBlock for today because today, my trip to California is officially a week away. :)

First though, I'm excited to say that I'm finally writing again! I'm working on my short story that I dreamt up after leaving the hospital in July, which I have temporarily called "Nino's Asylum." It's coming out differently than planned, and I can't even say how close or far I am from the end (which scares me a bit...), but isn't that how it usually works out with writing? I figure those kinds of things shouldn't matter anyway, as long as the story is getting put down on paper - literally. I think I'd be further along if I was using Scrivener, or ANY word processor for that matter, but instead I've stuck to writing this one out by hand. I wanted it to indeed be a short story, since I have a habit of writing way more complex (and therefore lengthier) plots, and was hoping that writing by hand would limit me since it's much more tiring and a mess to edit. Ha. =P




So yeah, onto my trip plans. I'm going to California for a total of 10 days, so I'll be there past Halloween. Highlights of my trip include: Sea World (of course), Balboa Park, La Jolla Shores, Anza Borrego Desert, and Coronado. Aside from that, I'll be roaming around San Diego because, to be honest, I take more interest in the everyday things of the places I visit than the hot tourist spots. It was the same for me when I studied in the Netherlands for a semester. Feeding the ducks at a nearby canal was one of the highlights of my stay.

I'll be taking tons of pictures everywhere I go, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to post them all. I definitely will get them on here when I'm back in New York, but the hotel I'm staying at charges a fee for internet, so I'm not sure when I'll have internet to post on. I figured since it's 10 days, it's not a big deal. I rather have a mini kitchen anyway. :)

I might even make a video at, for example, Sea World, but that's a huge 'maybe' since I'm not video savvy. And stay tuned for when I do come back, because besides the pictures, I'll also soon have a new album review for Sakamoto Maaya's third single collection, which should be arriving in my house sometime after its release in November. Lots of exciting things coming up... :)

Anyway, I'm totally dreading the flights, but it is what it is. Being on a plane is essentially the worst part of any trips for me lately (especially when I returned to the Netherlands back in January to see my then-boyfriend) thanks to my surgeries. Honestly, I'm feeling great where the incision is. I'm walking everyday, I'm stretching my back out, and I'm always keeping it clean. But sitting has never been the same since surgery #1, and I have to wonder how many more months will have to pass before I can sit without discomfort. My deepest empathy to all who have had to go through such a terrible experience.

I can't let it control my life though, which is why I'm going to California and then looking for a job after returning to New York. Life goes on.

That's really all the important things regarding my trip, my blog during my trip, and other small things going on in my life. I don't want to drag this out more than necessary so, 'til next time. ('<>')>

~nikki

P.S.: I cut my hair! So I thought I'd put a picture on here, as much as I hate putting full pictures of my face on anything.

Makeup worn: Maybelline Illegal Lengths Fiber Extensions Mascara...BET YOU COULDN'T TELL!  Hence the attitude of my review.

ISN'T THE LIGHTING SPOOKY AND HALLOWEEN-APPROPRIATE?! Haha. My hair is longer in the back than the front, since I got my usual layers. I had to lose some length for the style, since my hair was all uneven from my last swing bob cut, but I feel like it'll grow out better this way (since I am trying to get back to my original waist-length hair). Toodles! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment