Labels

5.13.2013

Lips: Revlon's Colorburst Lipglosses in "Atomic Pink" [LE] and "Pink Ice"



The product being reviewed in this post was purchased by me with my own money. The opinions stated further are my own opinions. I am not affiliated with the brand featured in this post.

Hi everyone. I was having trouble deciding what to review today (or write about in general, actually) and for some reason I kept gravitating towards products I don't grab for much. In the end, I decided on a product that I was excited to buy but pretty disappointed with after trying it out some weeks/months ago. That product is Revlon's Colorburst Lipgloss.

To be honest, I was never really excited about the Colorburst Lipglosses in general. I was simply excited for one color specifically that came out with a collection this past winter - something like Nude Tips and Neon Lips, I forget. Anyway, the color I wanted to try was not surprisingly "Atomic Pink," the 'neon pink' of the collection. I also ended up purchasing, at a later time, a color from the permanent line: "Pink Ice." I needed a pink gloss to add some life back into a too-nude lipstick, and thought "Pink Ice" would do the trick.

In the end, though I'm not entirely disappointed in the line of glosses as a whole, I was let down by "Atomic Pink" and remain indifferent to "Pink Ice."



CLAIMS (from the Revlon website)
"Lips that shine with killer color. This weightless gloss makes lips pop with 5X more shine than patent leather."


THE BASICS

Name: Atomic Pink; Pink Ice (004)
Net Wt.: 0.20 fl. oz./ 5.9 mL
Price: ~$7-8
Finish: Glossy, Cream (Atomic Pink), Shimmer/Glitter (Pink Ice)

Revlon's Colorburst Lipglosses come in a tall, thin square tube. The body of the tube is clear, revealing the gloss inside, and the cap is black with the quilted design characteristic of the Colorburst line. The company name is in silver along the band of the cap and a sticker at the bottom of the tube provides the line/color name and color number. I think this packaging has a very clean look to it.

"Atomic Pink" from two different angles/lightings. 
"Pink Ice"

LEFT: Sticker on "Atomic Pink."
RIGHT: Sticker on "Pink Ice."

The only kind of seal on the gloss is a long sticker going across the cap and body of the tube with more product information, including the ingredients.

Ingredients Part 1 of 2: Click to make enlarge.

Ingredients Part 2 of 2: Click to enlarge.

The applicator for this product is like a cross between the older doe-foot applicators and the more recent flat/paddle applicators. It's fairly stiff, which I prefer because I personally find that it makes application easier than the more flexible paddle applicators.


LEFT: "Atomic Pink"
RIGHT: "Pink Ice"

This product has a very, very subtle artificial vanilla scent - it reminds me of Naturistics roll-on gloss in "Vanilla"...one of the first glosses I ever owned, back when I was 13. It's barely noticeable though.


COLORS/SWATCHES

I'm going to continue this review discussing the two colors I purchased side-by-side, starting with "Atomic Pink." I believe "Atomic Pink" is limited edition because it has no number on it, unlike "Pink Ice" (004). Anyway, onto the colors.

"Atomic Pink" is a deep hot pink in the tube, bordering on fuchsia. It's the exact kind of color I'm constantly attracted to. "Pink Ice" (004) is a light, pale pink that looks flesh-colored in some lighting.

LEFT: "Atomic Pink"
RIGHT: "Pink Ice"

On my hand, the colors swatch much sheerer. This ended up being a double edged sword for me - in terms of "Atomic Pink," the hot, vibrant color in the tube was lost. For "Pink Ice," on the other hand, the light/fleshy color in the tube translated into this milky pink-tinged nude - though so sheer almost bordering on clear. Luckily for me, my lips aren't very pigmented so both colors show up, as you will see in the lip swatches in just a bit.

LEFT: "Pink Ice"
RIGHT: "Atomic Pink"


WEAR (WITH LIP SWATCHES)

On my lips, "Atomic Pink" is much less interesting than in the tube. Just a plain old pink - nothing neon or striking about it. First, for reference, my almost-deathly looking lips:

Bare lips, woohoo!

Now with "Atomic Pink":





Yes, it shows up. But I purposely left the applicator on my lips in the first picture to show how dull and normal the color looks compared to the vivid pink in the tube. "Killer color"? Not really...

"Pink Ice" retains more of its unique aspect - the milkiness - on my lips. For some reason when it comes to lip glosses, I don't mind if there's some glitter, so that wasn't a drawback for me here. In fact, I love the initial look of this color - although it's way nuder than expected so it won't serve it's original purpose of adding pink to my too-nude lipstick. It's just that I've been wearing this color specifically for an hour and a half now and while it's still shiny, it's practically clear.



So, in terms of wear time these last about 2-3 hours on me, which is good, but again the color fades quite a bit. And in terms of the shine...well..."5XS more shine than patent leather"? Again, no, not really. This gloss is shiny, but nothing spectacular. In fact I remember the Super Lustrous glosses being way shinier back when I owned a few as a lip gloss addict.

On the bright side, both colors don't settle in my lip lines. They both also feel smooth on my lips. Not too thick, not too thin. I guess the weightless claim is accurate. But they are on the drier side, especially "Atomic Pink," which kind of just drags across my lips during application.


OVERALL

The formula and wear of the Revlon Colorburst Lipglosses are perfectly fine. The colors run on the sheer side, however, and LE color "Atomic Pink" is quite disappointing as a result, while "Pink Ice" is quite lovely but fades quickly during wear as a color on the light side.

I personally will not be repurchasing any of the Colorburst Lipglosses. I would only recommend these glosses to those who enjoy sheer color, modest shine, and formulas that feel like they stay put. I would not recommend these glosses to those who prefer more shine, opaque color, or creamier formulas. I can't speak on behalf of the darker colors in the collection, but based off "Atomic Pink" and the just-OK formula I won't be trying any of those out. And speaking of "Atomic Pink" - I wouldn't recommend this at all if the tube is what grabs your attention. There are better hot pink glosses in the drugstore.

Hope this review was helpful, and thanks for stopping by. 'Til next time! ('<>')>

~nikki

The products in this post were purchased by me with my own money. The opinions stated are my own opinions. I am not affiliated with the brand featured in this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment