Labels

3.29.2014

EOTD: March 29, 2014

White background!!! :(

Hi. :) I'm going to try to write some reviews today that I took pictures for this past Wednesday, but for now I thought I'd make a quick post about an eye look I did today. A basic eye look, no doubt, because I am by no means good at applying eye makeup. I'm still trying to understand how to properly work with my eye shape.

The palette I used today was the Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette that my brother got me for Christmas last year, and I also broke in a new mascara. So this post is by no means a review, though I'll mention some initial thoughts here and there as I describe what I did.







I was really excited to get the Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette when it came out because of the color selection, the cute chocolate bar packaging, and the fact that the shadows were said to smell like chocolate thanks to the cocoa powder they're infused with. Yes, they really do smell delicious.

The Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette open, revealing the annoying plastic cover with the shade names.


I feel like a hypocrite sharing this eye look, of all the looks that I could have done using this palette, with you today. Let's face it - the Chocolate Bar palette is a predominantly neutral palette, with a few fun and unique colors thrown in. Those are the colors that usually win me over and truly set neutral palettes apart from others out there. When I see people make tutorial videos for palettes like these, I get really excited to see how they incorporate the palettes' standout shades specifically.

And then they do an 100% neutral look using all the colors that are reminiscent of every other neutral palette on the market. Kind of like the look I'm about to show you.

Cue scary eye closeup:



First, I want to get two things out of the way: (1) the sun has gone on vacation and my room was extremely gloomy today...and I'm sorry, because I hate taking pictures that aren't as color accurate as possible; (2) this picture shows how stubborn my eyelashes can be. I don't even know why I try to curl them sometimes.

Anyway, the eye look above was done without any base or eye primer. I'm assuming the eye shadows would have been brighter otherwise, though that's not to say I was disappointed with the pigmentation as is. It's been nearly 8 hours and my eye shadow is still completely intact, but with regards to that do keep in mind that my lids are not very oily so I can get away with skipping primer/bases if I'm too lazy.


COLORS USED from the TOO FACED CHOCOLATE BAR PALETTE:



Triple Fudge: Used in the outer "C" (more commonly the outer "V" but mine is definitely more of a "C").
Salted Caramel: Used as a transition color in the crease.
Hazelnut: Used as a lid color and on the outer half of the lower lash line. There was some fallout with this color.
Creme Brulee: Used on the inner third of the lid and on the inner half of the lower lash line. (This color is more golden than it appears in my picture.)
White Chocolate: Used as the brow bone and tear duct highlight (I'm sorry that my brow bone is cut of fin the above closeup - it is visible in the full-face photo below).


OTHER PRODUCTS USED:

Maybelline's Volum'Express The Falsies Big Eyes Mascara in "Very Black" (205) (Waterproof)

And that's it. I haven't been using eyeliner often and I only put lip balm on because I did this eye look in somewhat constrained time.




So far, I am really happy with the Chocolate Bar paletteMy favorite color of the five I used was "Creme Brulee," which really helped to brighten my eyes. I find that when I use light lid colors, my lids tend to look even larger than they are, but when I use darker colors I end up looking sleepy, so a color like "Creme Brulee" really helped to bring balance between the two.

As for the mascara, right now I don't care much for it. It seemed to take multiple strokes on my lashes to get any color to show up which was really weird, and they certainly didn't do anything to help curl my lashes, or to at least keep curled the few lashes I curled myself. I also didn't notice any significant volume, but this was my first time using it so who knows how that will change, if it does. First impressions are merely that: first impressions.

I'm really happy with my eye makeup today, even if it is mediocre! I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my last EOTD post, but I'm sharing these looks as a means of showing my progress, and not so much my "skill." I don't have much skill to share, so I don't feel inclined to call this a "tutorial" by any means. I do hope you enjoyed seeing one way this palette can function, however, and thank you as always for stopping by! :) 'Til next time! ('<>')>

~nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment