Labels

9.21.2012

Red Lips for Fall: Which to Choose?!

Hi guys, I'm finally keeping up with posting daily [[for now, gah]]. This post is pretty much inspired by, as the title says, red lips for fall. But first, *ahem* *THIS IS NOT A POST THAT DISCUSSES AND RECOMMENDS DIFFERENT RED LIPSTICKS; THIS IS A POST ABOUT ME DEBATING WHICH RED LIPSTICK TO PICK UP FOR MYSELF* ... :D

In the past I was totally obsessed with lip gloss - and not just lip gloss, but clear lip gloss. Now, almost a decade later as I'm getting back into my hobby of makeup, I'm interested in moisturizing lipsticks/balms. And among the usual "my lips but better" pinks and browns that I pick for myself, I've been curious to finally pick up the infamous red.

What really set my curiosity off was a picture in a thin beauty-only magazine from Macy's that came in the mail last week. One of the trends they were advertising was called "Retro Glam," which focused on bold, red lips. As such, they included a page-size advertisement for just one department brand lipstick, Chanel, in six shades of red.

Chanel's Rouge Allure Luminous Intense Lip Colour, if you're curious. $34.

The first from each row on the left caught my interest, but the $34 price tag scared me off. Until I have a steady job and live on my own, I don't think I could ever justify spending $34 on a single lipstick. o_o;




I've been thinking more and more about this whole red lip trend and really want to get one already! I considered picking up NYX's Black Label lipstick in "Cherry," which was a beautiful red on one of my favorite beauty gurus, Jen from FrmHeadToToe (as can be seen in her review of the Black Label lipsticks here), since I lovelovelove my Black Label lipstick in "Bling," but I know that it may not be what I expect since she is tanner than me. On top of that, I don't want to pay shipping for a NYX lipstick via Cherry Culture and I'm not sure when I'll be visiting Ulta again.

Well, I guess today was my lucky day because Nouveau Cheap, a beauty blog I love, recently put up a post about four recommended beauty products that could be purchased for a total of $5 - and one of the recommendations was a red lipstick, NYC's Ultra Moist Lipwear in "Retro Red." I followed her included link to swatches of the color and came across another promising red, Wet 'N Wild's Silk Finish lipstick in "Cherry Frost." 

I do not wear foundation so I cannot look up YouTubers or bloggers with similar skin tones to me and see what red lipsticks they use. Still, these lipsticks are both under $2 so I won't be losing much if either looks terrible on me. I'll just use my best judgment when I see the colors in person.

I might go to Target later today, so I'll post another entry if I do indeed purchase one of these lipsticks. If I don't go, though, I'll just keep on researching potential colors like I always do so I don't take forever in the store ;)

If you have any recommendations of true red lipsticks for fairly light, or fairly fair o_O, neutral/warm skin tones, please feel free to mention them in the comments below! :) Later!

~nikki

Do you own any red lipsticks? Which is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment