Labels

1.25.2013

Lips: Maybelline Baby Lips LE in "Yummy Plummy" and "Melon Mania"



One of my earliest reviews on this blog was my post on the Maybelline Baby Lips, where I wrote about and shared pictures of colors from the permanent line (excluding "Quenched") and two of three limited edition shades at the time (the third excluded being "Pink Wink"). Well, I finally came across the two newest limited edition shades - "Yummy Plummy" and "Melon Mania" - at my local Rite Aid. I picked both up for two reasons: (1) they were BOGO50%, and (2) I instantly fell in love with the radiant pink that peeked through the clear cap of "Melon Mania."

This review will focus on the colors and scents of these two products, as well as provide comparisons between these LE colors and permanent/other LE colors from my previous review that they remind me of. For details on the product overall (consistency, wear, etc.), please refer to the previous review here.



RUNDOWN OF LE BABY LIPS

I thought it would be useful to give a full list of the LE shades in the Baby Lips line, as of now, before going into each of the two colors that will be reviewed in this post:

50 Twinkle
60 Melon Mania
70 Coral Crush
80 Pink Wink
90 Yummy Plummy

Italicized colors are those that were initially released in the duo packs - "Coral Crush" with "Twinkle" and "Pink Wink" with "Peach Kiss," a permanent shade. There is now a new display that features all of the LE shades in individual packs, which is where I found "Yummy Plummy" and "Melon Mania."

Rollover to view shade names on packaging.
LEFT: "Yummy Plummy"
RIGHT: "Melon Mania"

LEFT: "Yummy Plummy"
RIGHT: "Melon Mania"


The backs of the packages give the same kind of information as the permanent Baby Lips packages: "statistics," directions, and a list of ingredients.





Now to shift our focus to "Yummy Plummy" and "Melon Mania."


[[PICTURE BREAK]]


Rollover for an additional angle.
LEFT: "Yummy Plummy"
RIGHT: "Melon Mania"


Rollover for an additional angle.
LEFT: "Yummy Plummy"
RIGHT: "Melon Mania"


LEFT: "Yummy Plummy"
RIGHT: "Melon Mania"


COLORS/SCENTS/SWATCHES

90 Yummy Plummy




"Yummy Plummy" is a deepened mauve/grayish purple in the tube. The scent reminds me of my Sugar Plum Spice holiday tea from Celestial Seasons, though you can tell it's not a true plum scent as there is a note of artificiality to it (ahem, I guess a note of 'plastic'). Swatched on my hand (multiple times), it appears to be a kind of sheer purplish/reddish/brownish color. To be honest, the color reminds me of an aged bruise, ha. Unfortunately, "Yummy Plummy" barely shows up on my weakly pigmented lips.

TOP LEFT:  Bare lips.
TOP RIGHT: Lips with multiple swipes of "Yummy Plummy."

60 Melon Mania




"Melon Mania" is so captivating in the tube: it's a glowing hot pink with a touch of coral. It smells like watermelon candy - no plastic here like with "Yummy Plummy." Swatched on my hand (again, multiple times), a lot of the intensity in the tube is lost and what is left behind is a translucent blushing coral - that is, a light pink with the slightest hint of coral. The color brightens up my lips but is definitely not as captivating when worn as it is in the tube. I was disappointed, but perhaps not surprised, since many of my other Maybelline Baby Lips appear differently on my lips than they exist in the tube. This is a nice color for little-to-no makeup days, or looks where you want polished, but not overly done, lips.

TOP LEFT: Bare lips.
TOP RIGHT: Lips with multiple swipes of "Melon Mania."


COMPARISONS

One of the first thoughts that crossed my mind, just by looking at both "Yummy Plummy" and "Melon Mania" in their tubes, was that they reminded me of other shades in the Baby Lips line - three from the permanent line and one of the earlier released LE shades, to be specific. I thought it would be interesting to do comparisons of each color to those that came to mind when I first saw them, in case some of you are simply eyeing these products for their colors. So lets begin with "Yummy Plummy." 


90 Yummy Plummy Vs. 20 Grape Vine & 30 Peach Kiss
It's probably no surprise that I'm comparing "Yummy Plummy" to "Grape Vine," as the thought of plums brings purple to mind and I initially thought "Yummy Plummy" was purple in the tube - at least until I compared it to "Grape Vine," the purple/berry of the permanent line.

LEFT: "Yummy Plummy"
RIGHT: "Grape Vine"


They look pretty similar in this picture, but that's because NYC has been on a streak of depressing, ice-cold weather. In this next picture with better lighting, you can see there are definite differences between the two colors in the tubes:

LEFT: "Grape Vine"
RIGHT: "Yummy Plummy"


In fact, once I reviewed this picture of the two side by side, I realized that "Yummy Plummy" bore a greater resemblance to "Peach Kiss." Unfortunately, it was much later by then, so I had to take new pictures and swatches of the three together in my bathroom, which has the best lighting in the house but still suffers from that annoying yellow cast so very characteristic to artificial lighting.

Here are the three together:

LEFT: "Grape Vine"
MIDDLE: "Yummy Plummy"
RIGHT: "Peach Kiss"

LEFT: "Grape Vine"
MIDDLE: "Yummy Plummy"
RIGHT: "Peach Kiss"


And here is a picture of "Yummy Plummy" with "Peach Kiss":

TOP: "Yummy Plummy"
BOTTOM: "Peach Kiss"


In the tube, "Yummy Plummy" definitely resembles "Peach Kiss" more than "Grape Vine." But swatching the three side by side on my hand makes for an even more interesting comparison:



Here, "Yummy Plummy" is an almost darkened version of "Grape Vine" with "Peach Kiss" undertones. And if you compare the lip swatches of "Yummy Plummy" to those of "Grape Vine" and "Peach Kiss" in my initial Baby Lips review, it also bears a greater resemblance to "Grape Vine" in the sense that both are nearly undetectable on the lips, while "Peach Kiss" has a frosty nude look on the lips. I almost feel as though "Yummy Plummy" would be the child if "Grape Vine" and "Peach Kiss" could have kids...as strange as that is to say.

So do you need "Yummy Plummy" if you own either "Grape Vine" or "Peach Kiss"? Well, if you could swipe it enough to get even the slightest hint of color, then I would say you don't need it if you already own "Grape Vine" because, swatched, they're almost twins. And, well, if you only have "Peach Kiss" of the three, then decide which scent you would prefer more: grape candy or artificial plums.


60 Melon Mania Vs. 70 Coral Crush & 25 Pink Punch
There was no process in deciding which Baby Lips "Melon Mania" reminded me of: "Coral Crush" (LE) and "Pink Punch" came to mind immediately.

LEFT: "Pink Punch"
MIDDLE: "Melon Mania"
RIGHT: "Coral Crush"


In poor lighting, the three look like a progression from pink to coral to orange. Again, better lighting surfaces more differences between the three though, unlike the previous comparison with "Yummy Plummy," there are still obvious similarities shared between "Melon Mania" and both of its predecessors.

LEFT: "Pink Punch"
MIDDLE: "Melon Mania"
RIGHT: "Coral Crush"


In the tube, "Melon Mania" is more similar to "Pink Punch," but has the glowing quality of "Coral Crush." The following picture shows "Melon Mania" isolated with each of the other two colors:

LEFT: "Melon Mania" (top) and "Pink Punch" (bottom)
RIGHT: "Melon Mania" (left) and "Coral Crush" (right)


Again, swatching the three side by side on my hand makes everything about these colors in relationship to one another more interesting:

LEFT: "Pink Punch"
MIDDLE: "Melon Mania"
RIGHT: "Coral Crush"


Here, "Melon Mania" seems more similar to "Coral Crush," though only in its translucency. The colors are still very different, with "Melon Mania" being the more natural of the three. It is also the one with weakest pigmentation. In the tubes - to go back to my wonderful analogy - "Melon Mania" appears to be the child of "Pink Punch" and "Coral Crush." Swatched,  however, I feel that they are all different enough to justify owning all three. 

As such, you may want to add "Melon Mania" to your collection even if you already own "Pink Punch," "Coral Crush," or both. 


OVERALL

"Yummy Plummy" and "Melon Mania" differ from the rest of the Maybelline Baby Lips by scent, but are not spectacular on their own since they are both weakly pigmented (with "Yummy Plummy" being nearly clear on my lips). "Melon Mania" may be worth owning if you love the Baby Lips formula but want more color options, since it does add a natural wash of pink when swiped a few times. If you're a collector, then it's a no-brainer that you'll want both regardless of their colors or scents.

Of all the LE Baby Lips I own, "Coral Crush" remains the most unique and pigmented, and of all the Baby Lips I own, "Pink Punch" remains the most opaque, with "Cherry Me" and "Peach Kiss" following up in terms of pigmentation.

I am not thrilled with either "Yummy Plummy" or "Melon Mania," as they pale in comparison to the Baby Lips I already had in my collection. If I had to pick a favorite of the two, though, it would definitely be "Melon Mania." It just has a fresher scent and enough color to distinguish it from the other weakly pigmented Baby Lips, such as "Grape Vine," "Twinkle," and (now) "Yummy Plummy."

I hope this review and comparison of these two new LE Baby Lips was helpful, and thank you for stopping by! 'Til next time. ('<>')>

~nikki

Will you be purchasing either "Yummy Plummy" or "Melon Mania"? What is your favorite of the limited edition Baby Lips?

No comments:

Post a Comment