Labels

3.26.2013

Nails: Maybelline Color Show's "Lustrous Lime" (Color Goes Electric LE 2013)



The product being reviewed in this post was purchased by me with my own money. The opinions stated further are my own opinions. I am not affiliated with the brand featured in this post.

I've been getting into nail polish lately, and trying to add different finishes to my small collection, since I initially was drawn towards shimmery colors. While I've been successful with that, I was automatically won over at first sight by Maybelline Color Show's "Lustrous Lime."



"Lustrous Lime" is part of the limited edition 2013 spring collection, Color Goes Electric, and I bought it during a BOGO50 sale at Rite Aid with another color from the collection, "Passionate Plum." I haven't used the latter yet, and "Lustrous Lime" was my first impression in terms of Maybelline nail polishes. 

The packaging is the same as the permanent Color Show line: a cylindrical bottle - of which the cap is about 50% - with a black cap consisting of the color name, size, etc. There is 0.23 fl. oz./ 7 mL of product and it retails at about $4 and change. It cost about $6.50 for both of the polishes with the BOGO50 sale.


The top of the cap with the polish name and number. 

A close-up of the other information included on the cap.

I don't know what it is about the color, but "Lustrous Lime" (925) caught my attention right away, perhaps because I never really came across such a vibrant lime green polish before. And I loved the soft gold shimmer - it gave a more appealing vibe to the otherwise 'yellowy' tone that is so prominent in lime green (a color I normally don't care for). I've also been trying to break away from what I consider typical polish colors, and "Lustrous Lime" broke away from the norm perfectly for me.

I tried to capture the golden shimmer but, well, anyone with poor photography skills (and even those somewhat accustomed to picture-taking) know how hard that can be. 

The polish was a bit thick, though not so much that it was hard to work with. It had medium opacity with one coat, and two coats were good enough for full-on color. The only tricky thing about applying was the cap: it felt really big in my hand and was especially hard to handle when it came to painting my right hand.

"Lustrous Lime" reminded me a bit of one of my first polishes, Confetti's "Moonstruck", in the sense that it didn't look as nice beside my skin as it did in the bottle. But it wasn't as much a disappointment as "Moonstruck," either, and I'll definitely reach for it more often.

You can see the golden shimmer much better in this picture, as well as the poor condition of my nails and my even poorer skills in nail polish application.

YES, in case you haven't caught on already, and because it's still practically winter here in New Hell, I mean York, it's pointless to paint my toenails, so I've finally given in and painted my fingernails. Took forever...especially doing my right hand. @_@

Also, this is two coats over a base coat of Sally Hansen's Diamond Shine. 



The drying time was a bit longer for this polish than my Confetti polishes, though I'm not sure if I should entirely credit that to the slightly thicker formula or the fact that my fingernails are smaller and therefore harder to achieve a thinner coat on (for me, as I am untalented in this field) than my toenails. Who knows.

As for the staying power, well, I can't comment on that unfortunately. These 'swatches' had no topcoat because I followed with a flake-glitter polish afterwards, which you can read a review of here once it's up, and that polish totally screwed up my manicure. You can read more about that in my review of that polish as well.

With that being said, I know this review may be a bit incomplete, but I did want to post the pictures of my almost-complete manicure since these LE colors are still available in stores at the time of this post.

Overall, I do like the Maybelline Color Show polishes, with the formulas being just fine to work with and the cap being a little awkward to handle. I'd say try them out if you find a color that grabs your attention the way "Lustrous Lime" did mine!

Hope this review was helpful and thanks for stopping by. 'Til next time! ('<>')>

~nikki

The product in this post was purchased by me with my own money. The opinions stated are my own opinions. I am not affiliated with the brand featured in this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment