Labels

4.09.2014

Lips: Revlon's Super Lustrous Lipstick in "Jungle Peach" (LE) [Vintage Collection 2014]




Hi! I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think we might actually have a spring here in NYC this year, and thank goodness for THAT, as this winter was brutal. Still...it seems whenever we have nice weather, the wind is total shit. It just blows nonstop, and it has a tendency to be icy. Ugh.

Anyway, yay for a review that isn't on a MAC  product!

This post seems almost fitting. Today I'm going to review another Revlon Super Lustrous lipstick - and I italicize 'another' because a long time ago (roughly a year and a half!), I published my first lipstick post ever on this blog, which reviewed a Revlon Super Lustrous lipstick. You can find that review here. Going with the theme of time, Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks are one of the most timeless drugstore lipsticks around. And, on top of that, the color I'll be reviewing today is a perfect example: it's a color that's being re-promoted in a limited edition collection dedicated to vintage shades that customers voted for. Sounds kind of like the MAC collection mentioned in my previous review, no?

The color is "Jungle Peach," originally released in 1963! To be honest, "Jungle Peach" wasn't my preferred color choice. I originally wanted "Snow Peach," but every display I found was sold out of it. That's because Revlon is doing the usual "2 per display" fail-tactic that a lot of drugstores have been implementing lately with their limited edition collections. One can never understand.

In any case, I did manage to find and purchase "Snow Peach" later on, and I'll be reviewing that as soon as possible. But for now, let me just say that "Jungle Peach" pleasantly surprised me. 




As I mentioned before, I did a review on Revlon's Super Lustrous lipstick before. But it was one of my first reviews on this blog and, therefore, didn't cover as much as my reviews usually do. It was also a first impression. For the sake of some brevity, I won't repeat the packaging details, which you can read here. I will simply share pictures with regards to that. Also, I want to note here that the Revlon Super Lustrous lipstick line is unscented.

Name: Jungle Peach
Net Wt.: 0.15 oz./ 4.2 g
Price: ~$8-$9
Finish: Cream (slightly glossy)


LEFT: Top of the tube, which has a clear window.
RIGHT: Bottom of the tube with the product sticker. 
Ingredients list.

And now onto the review!



As far as I can tell, there is no information about this collection on Revlon's website at the time of this post. The following description of "Jungle Peach" is taken from the collection display itself: a "pinkish-beige nude." While "Jungle Peach" is a unique enough color to me, very little of that description rings true for me. In my eyes, "Jungle Peach" is a muted orange with some beige to it. That's not the best description I can come up with, but it's all I've got. Thankfully we have pictures.



Since I now own and have used both "Jungle Peach" and "Snow Peach," I can say with certainty that "Jungle Peach" is definitely more of a peach. It looks fairly dull in the tube, and I didn't expect much from it as I prefer pinker peach colors.



I feel like my hand swatch of this product really shows the amount of orange in it. The beige is visible, too, as it almost looks like an orange mixed with a hint of brown. It seems to swatch on my hand a tiny bit darker than it appears in the tube. The opacity is fairly strong for this color, though, as is characteristic of all of the Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks I've tried thus far.



On my lips, this color really comes to life. The pink of my lips does enough to lighten the color a bit, as well as tone down the orange. I'm so happy it doesn't wear as just another orange lipstick! The shimmerless, cream finish of this lipstick lends to its creamy formula. This lipstick glides on beautifully and can be worn thinner for a slightly transparent effect or layered for complete opacity (in which case it does pick up more orange). Unfortunately, the creaminess does dry down with time and feel slightly dry, but I don't notice my lips actually being drier once the product is removed.

I get about three hours of wear out of this lipstick.



I've heard some people say that this color has the tendency to look awful on some skin tones, but thankfully for me it looks fine. The pictures above also show that the Revlon cream finish has a slight sheen (less than cream finishes in other brands). It reminds me of the MAC satin finish. 

Overall, I'm really happy that I did indeed pick up "Jungle Peach." For me, it's an orange that's so perfectly toned down by hints of beige that I can wear it without feeling like I have bright, straight-up orange on my lips. I enjoy Revlon's Super Lustrous cream finish, as it applies creamily, has a satin sheen, and great color payoff. With that being said, the cream formula does feel a bit dry after time and I only get about 3 hours of wear out of it.

Revlon's Super Lustrous lipstick has definitely been around for so long due to its formula, finishes, price, and color range. While I have other lipsticks that wear more comfortably over time, I still think that, for a drugstore line, Revlon's Super Lustrous lipsticks are great quality and provide excellent variety. Furthermore, I love the idea behind their Vintage Collection. I only wish they wouldn't limit the availability of each shade so much by providing a mere two lipsticks per color on each display.

Thanks for stopping by! I  hope to publish my review on "Snow Peach" next, so stay tuned for that. 'Til next time. ('<>')>

~nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment